Lesson observations – where to start?! Jeanette Barsdell, the author of ELT Lesson Observation and Feedback Handbook, was thrown in at the deep end and expected to observe a teacher on her first day as a DOS. Despite being terrified, she got some great advice, hit the ground running and developed into a competent observer. She’s written a guidance book for anyone who observes or intends to observe ELT teachers, and overall is a great resource.
Barsdell explains that the book will help you with (quote):
- managing and setting up observations
- decoding a lesson plan to understand and improve practice
- understanding from teaching practice a teacher’s strengths and weaknesses
- stating strengths and areas to work on in a constructive way
- being comfortable giving face-to-face and written feedback.