Russ Mayne suggested I should have a post or page listing all my reviews. So, here it is.
It turns out there are quite a few. As always, all views are my own and these reviews are highly subjective!
Before the list, some highlights…
- According to my ratings, the best training courses I’ve taken have been Spoken Grammar by Ken Paterson (Udemy) and Evaluating Digital Materials by Pete Sharma (Itdi.pro). The PGCEi modules come in next.
- There are a lot of resource sites ranked 4.5/5. In a battle of the video-based lesson platforms, Fluentize triumphs over Ready to Run.
- My highest-rated book is Silly Shakespeare for Students from Alphabet Publishing. Second place was Great Writing, which was great to teach from.
- These don’t include resources I’ve reviewed in a roundabout way. For example, my posts on PronPack are kinda like a review really, same with the Phonology for Listening and some other posts.
- Bear in mind the review date. Sites might change, books might have a second edition, I might understand more about a topic now, etc.
- A special mention for Eli Publishing, Alphabet Publishing and Marek at TEFL Equity Advocates, who went out of their way to send physical copies of their books to Thailand for review.
Note: the * shows that at the time I didn’t give the resource a 5-star rating, so I’ve added it now.
2020 Teacher Tapp (Rating 3.8/5)
2020 Studycat (3.5/5)
2017 ELSA Speak Pronunciation App (*4/5)
2017 British Council Apps (*Rating probs averages out at 4/5 but this one is a bit vague)
Online resource sites
2020 Read to Run (*Rating 3.5/5)
2020 EAL Hub
2020 NILE Membership (*4.5/5)
2019 Wordwall for vocabulary games (*4.5/5)
2018 Fluentize video lessons (4.5/5)
2015 Newsmart (4.5/5) RIP ☹
2021 PGCEi through University of Nottingham (4/5)
2020 PGCEi Module 2 (*4.5/5)
2020 PGCEi Module 1 (*4.7/5)
2019 Spoken Grammar (5/5)
2019 Evaluating Digital Materials (5/5)
2019 NILE Tech-assisted Language Learning (4/5)
2019 NILE Materials Development (4.5/5)
2018 ELT Training Library from Language Fuel (4/5)
2015 How to Teach IELTS (*4.5/5)
2016 Dyslexia and Foreign Language Teaching (4.5/5)
2021 Work It Out with Business Idioms (4.5/5)
2021 Retrieval Practice (4.2/5)
2020 21st Century Skills in the ELT Classroom (4.25/5)
2020 Work It Out with Phrasal Verbs (4.5/5)
2020 Rosenshine’s Principles in Action (3.9/5)
2020 Barry Reinvents Himself (4.325/5)
2020 Silly Shakespeare for Students (4.9/5)
2020 The Learning Power Approach (4/5)
2019 Play for the Planet (4/5)
2019 A-Z of ESOL (*4.2/5)
2019 Teaching English as a Lingua Franca (4.5/5)
2019 Egghead (3.5/5)
2019 Loving London (4.5/5)
2019 Vocabulary in Pictures (*4.2/5)
2018 Stories Without End (*4.5/5)
2018 ELT Lesson Observation and Feedback Handbook (4.5/5)
2018 Great Writing (4.6/5)
2018 Her Own Worst Enemy (4.5/5)
2017 Successful Group Work (*4/5)
2017 Community Classroom Builders (*4/5)
2016 Incredible English (*4.3/5)
2015 Punctuation..? (*3/5)
ELT Publishing Professionals (*4.5/5)