Here’s a short poetry task that worked well with YLs and teens. It’s based on a poem from A Nest Full of Stars by James Berry.
Before you ask, no. I haven’t suddenly gone all NLP.
- Create a poem in the style of a famous poet
- Review and practice adjectives to describe feelings
- Practice mindfulness and ‘being present’
Optional lead-in, discuss poetry (might be dry for YLs but worked okay with the teens)
- Do you like poetry? Why / Why not?
- Do you know any famous poets from your country (or somewhere else)? If so, who?
- Have you ever written a poem? If so, what was it about?
- What are some typical features of poems?
More of a ‘hook’ lead-in for the YLS…(more…)